A tasty warm tuna sandwich smothered in cheese, perfect for a quick lunch or effortless weeknight dinner!
Every now and then, I crave a classic tuna melt. It is a comforting sandwich for the colder months and extremely versatile and budget-friendly. Serve it with a side of soup or salad, and you have a balanced meal for lunch or dinner.
What Else Can I Add?
I like to keep it simple when I want something quick and easy, but when I want to be creative a tuna melt is the perfect base for so many add-ins.
- This recipe uses cheddar, but feel free to use whatever cheese you like or have on hand. Some other great options are gouda, swiss, pepper jack, and provolone. Or you could even use a blend of cheeses.
- I always use simple recipes to pack in some extra veggies. My favorites are bell pepper, avocado, spinach, pickles, and fresh or sun-dried tomatoes.
- Get creative with the spices! I hardly ever use the same seasoning blend and pick based on what I am in the mood for. Some of my go-to's are dill, paprika, mustard, and red pepper flakes.
Serving Ideas and Suggestions
This sandwich checks all the boxes when I want a satisfying lunch. However, I like to pair it with some side dishes if I serve it for dinner.
If you're making this sandwich in the winter, there is nothing better than pairing it with a warm soup. My favorites are a creamy tomato or my crockpot beef and vegetable soup. If I am in the mood for something a bit lighter, I like to have this sandwich with my chicken and apple house salad, cucumber salad, or a side of some fresh fruit.
You Might Also Like
Simple Tuna Melt Sandwich
- 5 oz can of tuna drained
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise plus extra to butter bread
- 1 tsp minced onion
- 1 tbsp celery finely chopped
- 4 italian bread sliced
- 4 slices of cheddar cheese
- Add the tuna, mayonnaise, minced onion, and celery to a small bowl. Stir to combine.
- Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on one side of each of the slices of bread.
- Place two slices of bread, mayonnaise side down in a large pan. Top each slice of bread with a slice of cheese, then half the tuna mixture, and top with another slice of cheese. Top with another slice of bread, mayonnaise side up.
- Heat over medium heat for 5 minutes, flip, then heat for an additional 3 minutes.
- Serve hot, and enjoy!