A tasty sweet, and salty snack, this classic cracker bark recipe is topped with Reese's Pieces and Reese's Cups, and pretzels for the perfect flavor combination.
Saltine cracker toffee, also known as "Christmas Crack," is one of my absolute favorite holiday treats because of its sweet and salty flavor combination. Reese's cracker bark uses a classic bark recipe, but it is topped with salty pretzels, crunchy Reese's pieces, and creamy peanut butter cups.
It may sound a little weird to cover saltine crackers in toffee and chocolate, but it is the salty crunch of the crackers that make all the difference in this dessert. Some other variations of the bark use graham crackers or Ritz, but in my opinion, nothing is as good as the classic saltine. These crackers pair perfectly with sweet toffee and rich chocolate.
Reese's cracker bark is a straightforward recipe and the perfect holiday potluck dessert. If you know you have an event coming up, you can even make these a day or two in advance! Store them in an airtight container until you are ready to serve.
What Else Can I Add?
As I mentioned, there are many variations to how you can make cracker bark, and everyone has their preference. Whether you are missing an ingredient or want to get creative, here are some ideas on how you can customize your cracker bark:
- Chocolate - You can use milk chocolate, semi-sweet, or dark chocolate chips. Cracker bark is sweet due to the toffee center, but I think semi-sweet chocolate tastes the best in this recipe. It's not quite as sweet as milk chocolate, but it balances out the toffee. It is still very decadent and satisfying after just a few bites. If you're not a fan of super sweet things, you might want to use dark chocolate instead. Another idea is to use dark chocolate but drizzle the top with white chocolate.
- Crackers - I think this recipe tastes best with saltine crackers, but you could also use graham crackers, ritz, club crackers, or pretzel sticks. If you want to make this recipe gluten-free you can switch out the cracker with gluten-free ones of your choice.
- Toppings - I went with a combination of Reese's pieces, mini Reese's cups, and pretzels. The pretzels help to balance out the sweetness of the candy with a salty element. Since this recipe is sweet, I highly recommend having at least one salty element. If you choose to use a sweeter base like graham crackers, don't forget the pretzels, or at least try topping with some flaky sea salt. Some other fun toppings include Christmas sprinkles, M&M's, Coconut shavings, and chopped nuts.
Looking for More Easy Treats?
Sometimes I need a quick dessert to take to Christmas parties or to put out when family comes over. Reese's cracker bark is always a crowd-pleaser, but here are a few more simple recipes that take under 30 minutes to prepare!
No Bake Cranberry Cheesecake Balls take only a few minutes of kitchen time and only five simple ingredients.
Rolo Pretzel Bites have a similar sweet and salty flavor combination, and they are the perfect quick and easy last-minute treat made with only three ingredients!
With only three ingredients, these Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Cookie Trees are flourless, tender, and mouth-watering for the peanut butter cookie lover.
Chocolate Dipped Marshmallows are a delicious and fun treat you can make with children and then enjoy with a cup of hot chocolate.
Reese's Cracker Bark
- 1 sleeve saltine crackers
- 1 c butter
- ½ c brown sugar
- 12 oz chocolate chips
- 1 c pretzels
- 1 c REESE'S, Milk Chocolate and Peanut Butter Baking Cups and Candy
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lay crackers out in a single layer.
- Melt butter and brown sugar in a medium saucepan over medium/high heat. Bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour mixture over crackers, and work quickly to spread it evenly.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Spread chocolate chips all over the crackers, and bake for an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and spread the chocolate.
- Top with pretzels, then top with the REESE'S, Milk Chocolate and Peanut Butter Baking Cups and Candy.
- Refrigerate for one hour to cool, then remove and gently break into pieces.
Leave a Reply