Tender chicken, juicy apples, and sweet grapes are tossed in a creamy dressing for a delicious and refreshing salad. It's perfect as an entree, or take it as a side dish to your next potluck as this salad is sure to please a crowd.
I know it may not be for everyone but I love putting fruit in my salads, as I love the sweet and savory taste. This is one of my favorite recipes especially during the fall months when apples and grapes are in peak season.
This is a super quick salad that taste like something you would order at a restaurant. The crispy tart apples and sweet grapes pair amazingly with the savory chicken and creamy blue cheese. It hits all the right spots making the most satisfying sweet and savory salad.
Substitutions and Variations
I love when I see a recipe with a lot of variations. This way I can customize it to my liking, or use up what I have on hand at the time, so that I don't have to go buy a ton of ingredients for one recipe. There are so many variations of how you can make this salad, and here are some of my favorite ways to make it!:
- Substitute the chicken for any other protein, or simply take it out to make this dish vegetarian.
- You can substitute the fruits in this salad for whatever you like, or is in season. I love the grapes in this recipe, but pomegranate is also amazing. You could also substitute them for dried fruit like cranberries or cherries. If you don't like the apples, I also love adding pears to this recipe.
- Same as the fruit, you can add pretty much whatever nut you like or have on hand. Walnuts are one of my favorite nuts, but this salad is also great with pecans, sliced almonds, pumpkin seeds or hazelnuts. If you want to kick it up a notch try using candied nuts.
- I personally love blue cheese, but I know quite a few people who aren't fans, and if that's you go for a creamy goat cheese or feta. Alternatively, if you want to make this salad dairy free simply take out the blue cheese.
- If you want a heartier salad toss in some grains such as quinoa or add in some veggies like butternut squash, sweet potato, or beets.
Serving Ideas and Suggestions
This salad is a great option if you want to eat it as an entree. If you want to bulk it up a bit, try adding in some grains such as quinoa or starchy sweet potatoes to make it even more satiating.
If you would rather enjoy this salad as a side dish it would be perfect at the Thanksgiving dinner table or paired with Loaded Sweet Potato Skins or Honey Rum Chicken.
You Might Also Like
Chicken and Apple House Salad
For Salad Dressing
- ¼ c mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 4 c spring mix
- 1 chicken breast grilled and cubed
- 1 green apple diced
- ½ c red grapes cut in half
- ¼ c walnuts chopped
- ¼ c blue cheese crumbles
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat and cook the chicken breast for 8 minutes, then flip and cook for an additional 4 minutes, or until cooked through. Once finished, cut into cubes.
- While the chicken is cooking, dice the apple and cut the grapes in half.
- Add the mayonnaise, vegetable oil, apple cider vinegar, sugar, and black pepper to a small bowl and stir well, until completely combined.
- When ready to serve, add the lettuce to a large bowl, and drizzle the dressing, and mix it all together.
- Add the chicken, apples, grapes, walnuts, and blue cheese, and toss.
- Serve, and enjoy!
Leave a Reply