Turn leftover chicken into street tacos with this simple, yet delicious recipe! The perfect blend of spices will season your chicken just right so you can pop some into soft street taco shells. Then top with lettuce, tomato, and cheese.
I am a huge fan of quick and easy dinners. With 2 boys, working full-time, and all the extra-curricular activities it's a bit hectic. That's why I love quick, easy, and hearty meals. If you need some other easy and quick meal ideas, check out my air fryer recipes, instant pot recipes, and slow cooker recipes.
Why You'll Love Street Tacos
- Stovetop Meal. There are lots of ways to make shredded chicken, for instance, boiling, grilling, or frying. Which ever option you decide is up to you or you can be like me and just pickup a rotassari chicken.
- Customizable. You can add your favorite seasoning to your chicken
- Easy to Make Ahead.
This is the perfect receipe for the leftover chicken or for those nights where you just want to run to the grocery store and grab a few items to a make a homemade meal within your budget.
Taco Topping Ideas:
- Shredded Lettuce or Cabbage
- Spice: Salsa or hot peppers to give more of your taste buds some fire!
- Shredded Cheese: My favorites are shredded cheddar or mexian blend, but you can choose which ever you would like.
- Creamy: Sour Cream or guacamole
- Citrus: A squeeze of lime or lemon juice can be the perfect finishing touch.
Shredded Chicken Taco Tips:
- Chicken Options: You can use whatever chicken you want. For example, you can use poached chicken, rotisserie chicken, crockpot chicken, or baked chicken breasts.
- Frozen Chicken: Yes, you can boil the frozen chicken breasts. It will take longer for the water to boil, and additional simmering time to cook them completely.
- Ensure Chicken is Cooked: Make sure the chicken's internal temperature reaches 165°F/74°C. I use a kitchen thermometer to check as overcooked chicken will be dry and not as enjoyable.
- Shred Chicken: Using a cutting board you can shread the chicken with two forks or these neat shredding claws.
What to Serve with Shredded Chicken Tacos
Make Burrito Bowls: Make up some Cilantro Lime Rice or some beans to make delicious and filling bowls.
Chips and Dip: Tortilla chips are always welcomed with some fresh salsa or guacamole.
Are Chicken Tacos Healthy?
Making tacos with chicken breast rather than ground beef makes this meal lower in fat than a traditional taco di
Shredded Chicken Street Tacos
- 2 c shredded chicken
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ c water
- 12 soft street taco shells
- 1 c lettuce shredded
- 1 c cheddar cheese
- 1 c tomato diced (optional)
- Chop the lettuce into shreds.
- Add the chicken, seasonings, and water to a medium skillet. Stir, and heat over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring often to heat the chicken through.
- Add chicken, lettuce, and cheese to the taco shells.
Leave a Reply