A simple and flavorful dump cake that takes just 2 hours to make in the Crockpot. You're going to love this easy 3 ingredients effortless dessert recipe!
What is a Dump Cake?
A dump cake is a dessert that is similar to a cobbler, but simpler in my opinion. It typically consists of about 3 ingredients and requires only one dish, and no stirring. It is as simple as layering your ingredients and baking for about an hour.
A dump cake is usually made by layering fruit or pie filling in the bottom of a baking dish. A boxed cake mix is then spread over the top, and lastly, it is topped with butter and baked. When the cake comes out of the oven, it has a buttery top crust, over a layer of sweet fruit.
Dump cakes are super easy to throw together when you need something quick, inexpensive, and delicious for dessert. You probably already have the ingredients you need in your pantry. Dump cakes are also super versatile like a cobbler, as you can use any fruit of your liking whether its fresh, frozen, canned, or a pre-made pie filling. One of my favorite things about dump cakes is that you can make them as simple or as complex as you want them. If you need something quick and easy, just toss the basics in the dish and you're good to go. Alternatively, if you're feeling creative you can try out some different mix-ins or fruit combos.
Tips and Tricks to Make Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake
Think you’re ready to give the recipe a try? Keep these additional tips and tricks in mind to make sure you nail it.
- I love how easily this recipe comes together in the crockpot, but if you'd prefer you can bake this in the oven instead. Layer the ingredients as stated in the recipe into a 9x13" baking dish, and bake at 350 degrees for about 50-60 minutes.
- You can also make this recipe with fresh or frozen cherries instead. You can toss them in some sugar before pouring them in, or leave them plain if you want it a little less sweet.
- Dump cakes are super customizable so if you don't like cherries you can use pretty much any fruit you like, and the same goes for the cake mix you buy. I personally like a dark chocolate cake mix with this recipe, but I think it would also be great with a vanilla cake.
- Feel free to get creative and add in anything else that you like. I think this recipe would be great with some sliced almonds or chocolate chips if you like it extra fudgy.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
Ready with your chocolate cherry dump cake? Here are some cool serving ideas & suggestions you can implement.
- The best way to serve this dump cake is warm and topped with some whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- Leftover dump cake can be stored in an airtight container for several days in the fridge. When you're ready for it, you can reheat it in the microwave or put it into the oven for a few minutes, and it will be just as delicious as the day you made it!
You Might Also Like
Crockpot Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake
- 1 Crockpot
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 2 - 21oz cans cherry pie filling
- 1 stick butter
- Pour the cherry pie filling into the bottom of the crockpot.
- Sprinkle the cake mix over the pie filling.
- Add the butter to a small bowl and heat in the microwave for 30-60 seconds, until melted.
- Pour evenly over the cake mix.
- Cook on high for 2 hours.
- Serve hot with whipped cream or ice cream.