Commercials and magazines make decorating cookies with kids look so clean and easy. That is the truth, right? What starts as a beautiful holiday memory can leave your floor covered in sprinkles, the kitchen a disaster area, and lots of frosting everywhere, but not a must-go on the cookie.
If you’re looking for a way to decorate cookies with kids this Christmas that is less messy, I’ve got you covered. It only takes some prep work on your part the day before, but if that is not possible, I also have you covered either way.
Preparing the night before decorating cookies:
- Put the icing into individual bags or squeeze bottles, as when you give a bowl, you can expect a lot more than a spatula will be going into them. Use a toothpick to keep the icing in place and pop any large air bubbles. Let the icing dry uncovered for 6-8 hours or overnight. (TIP: If making them a few days early, store them in an airtight container between layers of waxed paper.)
- Use food coloring pens instead of dying icing into individual bowls or bags. The food coloring pen decorations only need a few minutes to dry, so the cookies are ready to be packaged and stored immediately.
If you choose to make the icing and decorate on the same day:
- Use a cookie sheet to decorate on to contain the sprinkles from going all over the table and floor.
- You can still put the icing in individual bags or squeeze bottles, then use a toothpick to guide the icing in place. However, you will have to dye the icing before decorating to allow for sprinkles to stick.
- Cookies are made to be eaten, not to be perfect.
- Making pretty cookies shouldn’t require an art degree.
- Your time is better spent EATING and SHARING cookies with family and friends than slaving over decorating them.
It is my favorite time of year, as well as the boys. They enjoy helping create new things in the kitchen, and I appreciate their help. Them starting to assist in the kitchen young will hopefully set them up for a successful future.
My 9 Favorite Christmas Cookie Recipes:
Looking for More Recipes?
If you are looking for more cookie recipes, feel free to stop by here!