With the holiday season in the rearview, you may be swearing off sweets. These peanut butter candy cane cookies might change your mind. (Do you have candy canes left over from the holiday? This is a great way to make them disappear!)
Are you tempted yet? You won't be able to put these down with creamy peanut butter, and just enough peppermint sprinkled on top. My boys love to crush the candy canes while making these cookies, and it's their favorite part to push them down with a fork and sprinkle bits of candy cane on top.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Peppermint Extract - If you find you don't have this in your cupboard or if you prefer not to add peppermint extract, it's ok. The cookies won't be as pepperminty but will still be good.
- Candy Cane Kisses - This recipe calls for 70 candy cane kisses. This is at least a 10-ounce bag. The bag sizes seem to vary yearly, and sometimes I want to get the large bag. As long as you have 70 kisses, you're covered. I usually get mine at the grocery store, but you can also order them from Amazon.
- Butter Flavored Shortening- Shortening in this recipe makes them work. If you want to substitute half butter, you can, but I wouldn't replace all of it. It's also essential to use butter-flavored shortening. Regular shortening will make these taste borderline nasty.
- Flour - Always all-purpose flour, never self-rising.
How do I store Peanut Butter Candy Cane Cookies?
Your peanut butter candy cane cookies will stay delicious in an airtight container on the counter for up to a week. You can also choose to freeze them if you want them to last longer- remember to use a freezer-safe container.
Alternatively, you can freeze the dough, and then, when you want to make these cookies, get it out, allow it to thaw, and then use it! Save some pepperminty sprinkles for the top!
Related Cookies you want to try:
- Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies
- Double Chocolate Walnut Cake Mix Cookies
- Easy Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Eggnog Cookies
- Cranberry Orange Cookies
Peanut Butter Candy Cane Cookies
- ½ c unsalted butter softened
- ¾ c light brown sugar
- ½ c creamy peanut butter
- 1 egg large
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ⅓ c all purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ¼ c crushed candy cane
- ⅓ c sugar for rolling
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line your baking sheets with parchment paper, set aside.
- Mix softened butter and brown sugar together well. Mix for 2 minutes.
- Add in peanut butter egg, vanilla, salt, baking soda and candy cane. Mix well for 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly add flour and combine well, do not over mix.
- Using a cookie scooper - scoop batter and roll each cookie ball in sugar and place on lined cookie sheet.
- Using a fork flatten cookies.
- Sprinkle top of cookies with crushed candy canes.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes until lightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let set for 3-4 minutes.