A good salad is necessary for any occasion. It is a good healthy choice to complement the main course so being creative and making grilled chicken caesar salad skewers was a crowd-pleaser. It makes it all bite-size which is perfect for any gathering.
When it comes to salads what’s your favorite part? The toppings obviously, am I right?
The whole lettuce business is more of an obligation. You feel like you have to put it in there because you’ve always done it that way and if you didn’t, is it really a salad? Generally, my feeling about lettuce is that it’s just getting in the way and taking up space for the stuff I really want. However, when I made this Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad my opinions of lettuce totally changed.
This is partly because not much lettuce is needed so you get to enjoy more of the toppings... Heck yes!
How to grill romaine lettuce
When grilling romaine lettuce, my preference is to use romaine hearts. First, slice them in half lengthwise. You want the core to remain intact so leaves aren’t falling all over the grill. Drizzle the halves with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Put them cut side down on the hot grill and cook them for about 2-3 minutes or until they have nice grill marks. That’s all there is to it and the added flavor that the grill gives the lettuce is a game changer!
Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad Skewers
- 1 Chicken breast Large
- 1 c Cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 Romaine heart
- ½ Red onion Sliced
- 1 Sourdough baguette
- The desired amount of shredded Parmesan cheese and caesar dressing
- Cut the raw chicken into bite-sized chunks. Cook in boiling water for about 15 minutes.
- Preheat the grill.
- Cut baguette and romaine heart into bite-sized pieces. (The baguette pieces will resemble croutons, once cooked)
- To create skewers, place your desired amount of poached chicken pieces, tomatoes, red onion, romaine and sourdough chunks onto each skewer.
- Cook on grill for approximately 10 minutes, turning often. Or until you have desired char marks.
- Remove from the grill, drizzle with caesar dressing and shredded parmesan cheese.