A simple way to make chicken parmesan in casserole form! Just five main ingredients: breaded chicken tenders, rigatoni noodles, mozzarella cheese, and parmesan cheese.
There's nothing like a good casserole in the chilly fall months. The best part about this casserole is that it only takes 5 minutes to throw together, plus it's a family favorite! I don't know anybody who doesn't enjoy pasta or chicken tenders and paired together in this dish is a match made in heaven.
What Kind of Pasta Can I Use?
The fun part about this casserole recipe is that you can use practically any pasta. Obviously, it is best to stay away from spaghetti, or any other flat pasta for that matter, but if you have some spiral pasta or macaroni sitting in your pantry, feel free to use it!
Tips and Tricks to Make Chicken Parmesan Casserole
Think you’re ready to give the recipe a try? Consider these additional tips to help you nail the recipe!
- Pre-shredded cheese doesn't melt as well because of the starch coating that keeps it from sticking together in the bag. It takes just a few extra minutes to shred up some fresh mozzarella that will make all the difference in this recipe.
- The crispy breading on the chicken adds another level of texture and flavor, but you can use regular chicken breast as well.
- I love topping this pasta with some fresh basil or mixing in some more vegetables. My favorites are broccoli, bell peppers, and zucchini.
- If you like a little bit of a kick, I would highly recommend topping your pasta with some crushed red pepper flakes, as it makes such a difference in the end result.
Serving Ideas and Suggestions
So you've made the casserole, and now you need a whip up a quick side dish.
I'll never be opposed to a pasta dish served with a classic green salad or a side of garlic bread. Another favorite of mine is roasted vegetables. Baked Green Beans, broccoli, zucchini, and eggplant are always good options. You could also cook the vegetables and add them to the sauce.
If you want to mix it up, pair this recipe with my current favorite Chicken and Apple House Salad. The sweet and tangy flavors perfectly balance out the savory flavors of the casserole.
You Might Also Like
Simple Chicken Parmesan Casserole
- 8 oz rigatoni noodles cooked al dente
- 29 oz chicken tenders
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese
- ½ c parmesan cheese
- 24 oz pasta sauce
- Preheat the oven, and cook the chicken according to package directions.
- While the chicken is cooking, fill a large pot halfway with water, bring to a boil over high heat, then add the noodles. Cook for about 10-12 minutes, until the noodles are al dente. Strain the water, and set aside.
- When the chicken is done, cut each tender into 4-5 pieces.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add the noodles, sauce, and half of the mozzarella and parmesan cheese to a large bowl, and gently toss.
- If not using a non-stick casserole dish, spray a 9x13 inch casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add half of the pasta mixture to the dish, and spread out. Then add half of the chicken spread over the mixture, as well as half of the remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Repeat these layers one more time.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve hot, and enjoy!