Easy and flavorful cast iron skillet dish with sausage and rice that makes clean-up a breeze even on the busiest nights.
I am all about a quick and easy dinner, especially on weeknights. Between school, work, and sports practice, it can be challenging to get dinner on the table for the whole family each night.
But that is when I rely on quick and easy meals like this one. This hearty, delicious Sausage and Rice Skillet meal couldn't be easier. It's become one of our go-to meals for a quick and satisfying dinner!
The Trick with Cooking Rice:
The trick to cooking rice is to leave the pan covered unless you are stirring it—the lid locks in the steam, which helps to cook the rice. If you don’t cover the rice, your liquid will evaporate, and you will have crunchy rice. No one wants crunchy rice!
Additions your could use:
- Turkey Kielbasa or chicken sausage for a healthier version of this recipe.
- Any color of bell peppers, diced tomatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, and broccoli for extra veggies.
- Add in a few diced jalapenos for some extra spice or banana peppers for a sweet spice.
- A can of drained and rinsed pinto or black beans could also be added to this skillet meal for some extra protein and flavor.
Storing and Reheating Leftover Sausage and Rice Skillet:
STORE leftovers covered tightly in the fridge for up to 5 days.
FREEZE in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before heating up again.
REHEAT in a skillet on the stovetop by adding a TBSP of water to keep the rice from drying.
Best Side Dishes for Skillet Meals:
Other Skillet Meals you will want to try:
Sausage and Rice Skillet
- 6 Italian Sausages
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 tbsp garlic
- 1 ½ c instant white rice
- 2 c chicken broth
- ½ c yellow pepper diced
- ½ c red pepper diced
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp everything bagel seasoning
- ½ tsp pepper to taste
- ½ tsp salt to taste
- In a large skillet, add olive oil and sausage and saute for 10-12 minutes over medium heat or until sausage is cooked through.
- Remove sausage and set aside (slice into small pieces when sausage has cooled)
- Add onions, garlic, peppers, salt and pepper and everything bagel seasoning and saute for 6-8 minutes.
- Add rice, chicken broth, cut sausage, and soy sauce to the skillet and mix together.
- Cook covered for 5-10 minutes or until rice is done, all liquid should be absorbed.
Leave a Reply