With ingredients, you probably already have in your pantry, and as little as 30 minutes you can be serving up this skillet bacon mac and cheese. A dinner the whole family is sure to love!
If you have picky eaters, this recipe is a great way to elevate your child's beloved mac and cheese in a way the entire family will enjoy.
The sauce comes together with only 4 ingredients. The decadent cheesy sauce, crunch of the bread crumbs, and crispy bacon will definitely have you coming back for seconds... or thirds.
This recipe is so simple and delicious you'll never want to buy a box again!
Here I used classic elbow macaroni, but you can really use any type of pasta you'd like in this recipe!
The bacon adds an amazing flavor but you can easily swap it out for any other protein of choice, and you can easily make this recipe vegetarian by omitting the bacon altogether.
The sauce is made up of 4 simple ingredients, and If you want to make this dish a little bit more sophisticated you could try substituting some of the Colby jack with blue cheese, brie, parmesan, or any cheese blend that you like.
How Can I Make It Healthier?
If your family loves mac and cheese as much as mine, you might find yourself making this recipe pretty often. Luckily, it is very versatile and a great base for any mix-ins.
One of my favorite things to do is add in some cooked broccoli, spinach, peas, or any other vegetables I have on hand. They get mixed into the cheese sauce and is a great way to get in that serving of veggies when you have picky eaters.
Tips to Make the Skillet Bacon Mac and Cheese
Think you’re ready to give the recipe a try? Consider these additional tips to help you nail the recipe!
- If you like a little bit of a kick, add in some crushed red pepper flakes or sliced jalapeños.
- Want to make this ahead of time? Prepare the mac as you normally would, but instead of putting the breadcrumbs on top, cover and refrigerate the mac until you are ready to bake. When you're ready to eat simply add on the breadcrumbs and warm in a preheated oven until bubbly and the bread crumbs are crispy!
- If you don't have a cast iron skillet, don't worry! You can make this mac and cheese in any baking dish, but I do like the way that a cast iron skillet makes the cheese a little extra crispy around the edges.
Skillet Bacon Mac and Cheese
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp flour
- 1 c milk
- 2 c colby jack cheese block shredded
- 8 oz pasta cooked al dente
- ½ lb bacon
- ¼ c bread crumb
- Cook pasta until al dente. Set aside.
- Chop bacon into 1 inch pieces and cook until done, then drain the grease. Set aside.
- Shred the cheese.
- Turn the oven broiler to low.
- Add butter to a cast iron skillet, and heat over medium-high heat, until it melts and bubbles.
- Whisk in flour, and cook for about 1 minute, then add milk, and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat, then stir in a handful of cheese at a time, until melted.
- Add pasta and bacon. Stir until combined.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top and broil on low for about 6 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Leave a Reply