Loaded with flavor and deliciousness, this Instant Pot lemongrass chicken chili recipe is a must-try.
I have to admit, I’m a big fan of simple meals. Working with ingredients that I have in my pantry, and ones that don’t need a lot of time and effort to work with is exactly what I’m looking for, especially when I’m done after a long and tiring day.
Recently, I tried my hands at this Instant Pot lemongrass chicken chili recipe, and quite frankly, I was more than pleased at how it turned out. It was chock full of flavor, and yet, so simple and versatile.
Tempted enough to give it a shot yourself? Here’s all you need to know about it before you do.
Can I Try This in a Vegetarian Version?
Yes, you definitely can! I made it using chicken as my protein, but I think you can replicate the same flavors with any other vegetarian protein source of your choice. Personally, I think tofu, cottage cheese, and soya chunks are all excellent choices since they can soak up all those delicious flavors easily.
How Do I Store the Leftover Lemongrass Chicken Chili?
One of the best things about the lemongrass chicken chili is the fact that it can be made ahead of time and stored for later. You can transfer your leftovers to an airtight container and refrigerate them for up to 4 days. Just remember to use a
If you want to store it for longer than that, or are planning on making it in a batch, you can do that too- it can stay in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Tips & Tricks to Nail the Recipe
The recipe is super easy, but here are some additional tips and tricks to help you get those flavors and textures bang on.
- While you can always whip up this recipe quickly, if you have a little extra time, you can allow it to marinate in the spices and seasonings for a few hours to lend the chicken some extra flavor.
- To make the chicken chili more nutritious and healthy, you can also throw in some diced veggies of your choice after you’ve sauteed the garlic. Broccoli, green beans, bell peppers, onions, and carrots are all excellent choices.
- Want your dish to have a little extra sauce? Add a bit of cornflour slurry into the pot towards the end, and allow it to simmer for a couple of minutes until it thickens. At this point, you might want to give the mixture a little taste and adjust the spices and salt, if needed.
- Don’t forget to garnish the lemongrass chicken chili with a generous sprinkle of chopped coriander or spring onion leaves, right before you serve.
How to Serve the Instant Pot Lemongrass Chicken Chili
Ready with your bowl of flavorful lemongrass chicken chili? You can serve it with some steamed rice or even some fried rice if you feel like it.
Another excellent idea is to pair it with some flatbread to mop up all those delicious juices.
Instant Pot Lemongrass Chicken Chili
- 2 chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tsp lemongrass stacks white part only, finely chopped
- 2 tsp garlic finely chopped
- 2 tsp red chilis finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion cut into cubes
- ¼ c water
- In a bowl take chicken, add salt, 1 teaspoon garlic,1 teaspoon red chili, 1 teaspoon lemongrass, and fish sauce.
- Set the instant pot on the SAUTE function, let it heat up.
- Add in the remaining garlic, lemongrass, and chilies. Sauté it for a few seconds until fragrant.
- Next add in the marinated chicken and cook until the chicken turns a little brown from pink.
- Add ¼ cup water and brown sugar. Deglaze the pot by stirring properly so no food is stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Add in the onion cubes on top.
- CANCEL the SAUTE button. Select the PRESSURE COOK button on HIGH PRESSURE for 6 minutes. (Make sure the valve is in the SEALING position).
- Once the pressure-cooking cycle is over. quick release pressure by manually moving the valve from SEALING to VENTING position.
- Open the lid carefully and select the CANCEL button.
- Serve hot with steamed rice garnished with chopped red chilis.
- NOTE: You can store the chili in an airtight container for 4 days in the refrigerator or around 3 months in the freezer.