This simple BLT crostini appetizer is made with mayonnaise, mozzarella, and bacon mixture loaded on top of fresh sliced French Baguette Bread, and baked to perfection. Then topped with fresh lettuce shreds, and sliced cherry tomatoes for a mouth-watering appetizer everyone will enjoy.
Aaahhh my dear foodie friends. This week Sunday Supper is being hosted by the fabulous end of the year we approaching with the kids getting out of school for summer.
Of course, that means I need to bring an appetizer that is fresh, healthy, tasty, and filling. We all know that when you are getting ready for summer you are watching your waistline too. Well, maybe not so much me here being the foodie, but anyways that's not the point.
This appetizer hits the nail on the head with the fresh taste, topped with healthy vegetables and spreads, tastes absolutely amazing, and fills you up just enough to satisfy your hunger. Unless you are like me who didn't have the willpower to stop and decided that creating this as a test would turn into dinner the other night.
What is the Difference Between Crostini and Bruschetta?
The difference between bruschettas and crostini is the bread used. Bruschetta, from the Italian word “bruscare” meaning “to roast over coals” is made by toasting whole, wide slices of a rustic Italian or sourdough-type bread. Crostini are sliced and toasted from a smaller, round, finer-textured bread, more like a white bread baguette.
What Ingredients Are Needed To Make BLT Crostini?
- Mayonnaise - I like to use Duke's Mayonnaise.
- Mozzarella cheese - You can use other shredded cheese like Peper Jack Cheese if you wish to add some heat.
- Bacon pieces
- French Baguette bread
- Romaine lettuce
- Cherry tomatoes
What Other Ingredients Can You Put on a BLT?
The options are endless and you can make it as fancy or simple as you choose.
- Fried Egg
- Sriracha Sauce
What is the Rule of Thumb for Crostini Toppings?
You will want to prevent soggy bread by adding the toppings just before serving. The crostini toasts can be made up to 3 days ahead of time and stored in an airtight container. However, the toppings may turn, like lettuce or tomatoes, so it is best to wait until as close to serving time as possible.
Other Recipes You May Enjoy:
- ¼ c mayonnaise
- ½ c mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 - 2.5 oz package bacon pieces
- 24 slices baguette French bread sliced ¼ in think
- ¼ c romaine lettuce shredded finely
- 8 cherry tomatoes sliced into thirds
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the lettuce into fine shreds, and slice each tomato into 3 pieces. Set aside.
- Slice the bread into 24 ¼ inch pieces and arrange on a baking sheet (optional: line it with parchment paper first)
- Add the mayonnaise, cheese, and bacon pieces to a bowl and stir to combine.
- Spread some of the mixture onto each slice of bread, then transfer the baking sheet to to the oven, and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and top each slice of bread with a couple pieces of shredded lettuce, and one slice of tomato.
- Serve warm and enjoy!