I don't have to tell you how trendy charcuterie boards are right now. There's nothing more popular than assorted meats, cheeses, and other pickings arranged artfully on a board to elevate a party or an impromptu get-together. The variety of items on well-curated charcuterie boards appeals to all palates and can range from fancy to super casual.
How to pronounce Charcuterie
It sounds like shaar·koo·tur·ee
What is a Charcuterie Board?
Charcuterie is a french term that refers to cured meats, such as sausage, ham, and confit most often from pork.
Today a charcuterie board most often includes cured meats, cheeses, and bites of savory snacks, think nuts, pickles and olives, and assorted mustards and preserves.
Where to purchase a Charcuterie Board?
You don't have to purchase the board to arrange the meats, cheeses, and savory snacks these days. You can use a nice cutting board or should you wish to purchase here are a few:
What to put on a Charcuterie Board?
This list does not include everything that you can arrange on a charcuterie board, but will hopefully give you a good idea of what would be best for your guests.
- Cured meats: ham, pepperoni, bacon, summer sausage, prosciutto, roast beef, beef jerky, salami, soppressata, turkey, chicken, etc.
- Artisan Cheeses: brie, cream cheese, cottage cheese, gouda, goat cheese, feta, blue cheese, pepper jack, mozzarella, swiss, Colby jack, manchego, and other soft/ hard cheeses.
- Fruits: grapes (green, red, or black), apple slices, strawberries, blueberries, oranges, apricots, kiwi, cherries, pears, pineapple, raspberries, blackberries, olives, bananas, dates, figs, lemon, dried fruits, and more.
- Vegetables: carrots, broccoli, celery, cucumbers, cauliflower, cherry tomatoes, peppers, pickles, snap peas, mushrooms, etc.
- Dips: mustard, peanut butter, hummus, ranch, salsa, guacamole, cream cheese, jelly, jams, preserves, honey, etc.
- Crackers: Cheese-its, Goldfish, Ritz, Triscuits, Wheat Thins, Table Crackers, etc.
- Pretzels: chocolate-covered pretzels or peanut butter pretzels, rods or sticks, etc.
- Nuts: almonds, peanuts, pistachio, walnuts, cashews, chickpeas, pecans, etc.
- Bread: sourdough, baguette slices, bruschetta, bagel chips, pita, naan, etc.
- Candy and sweets: chocolate, chocolate chips, licorice, Skittles, M&M's, marshmallows, cookies, caramel, Swedish fish, mints, taffy, gummy bears, popcorn, jelly beans, fruit snacks, gummies, etc.
- Seafood: shrimp, scallops, snails, oysters, squid, etc.
- Fresh herbs
Tip: make sure to include spoons, forks, knives, toothpicks, small bowls/plates, tongs, and crackers for nuts and seafood!
Help put together a Charcuterie Board
If you're not sure you have the skills to put together a jaw-dropping charcuterie board, there's someone who can help!
Platterful is a service that prepares charcuterie kits and subscriptions. You can purchase a monthly subscription where you'll get new meats, cheeses, and accompaniments delivered to you each month. Included in the kit are how-to videos and a card with all of the ingredients in the kit and step-by-step instructions.
Platterful is an all-in-one charcuterie experience. Upon ordering, you'll receive a box with artisan meats, cheeses, and other accompaniments. The best part (besides the meat and cheese of course) is the included instructions and educational materials that make the board a fun experience.
Gift a Charcuterie Board with the fixings!
Platterful is a great idea for gifting. Whether it's a holiday, a birthday, or a special anniversary, you can leave a gift message on checkout so the recipient knows who sent them this great gift.
The charcuterie kit and handcrafted wooden board are my favorite bundle. You'll get the standard charcuterie kit and a beautiful handcrafted bamboo wooden board plus instructions on how to put your kit together.
I had the chance to try out a box and was very impressed with the items included. My box featured a tomato basil gouda, merlot cheese, flavored goat cheese, sliced salami, crackers, jam, mustard, and a few additional treats. There's a QR code on the included card where you can see what pairs well with the items and see spotlights on the products.
My boys were big fans!
Needless to say, if you're a fan of charcuterie, know someone who is or is at a loss for a great gift idea... Platterful is the answer and as a reader, you can save 10% off your order using coupon code SAVINGMEALTIME10.
Share this post with others by Pin-ing it to Pinterest today!