Loaded with different textures and flavors, this Persian honey-glazed chicken and bejeweled rice is a must-try!
Lately, I have been experimenting with different cuisines, and the simplicity of Persian and Middle Eastern foods and flavors have me hooked. And that’s exactly why I tried my hands at a wholesome meal inspired by Persian flavors- a honey-glazed chicken that is paired with flavorful bejeweled rice. And guess what? I loved every single bite.
What’s best is the fact that it was so easy to put together. If you’re interested in checking the recipe out, scroll down and keep reading to know more about it.
What Else Can I Add to the Bejeweled Rice?
I would suggest keeping the rice simple when it comes to flavors. It already has some good textures that you’ll get to enjoy, so it really doesn’t make sense adding in too much and making it an effortful thing.
However, what you can do to make this a wholesome meal is to stir fry some veggies of your choice, season them with some salt, pepper, and turmeric powder, and then serve them with the honey-glazed chicken and rice. That way, you’ll be enjoying a complete, wholesome meal. You can opt for any veggies of your choice- cauliflower, carrots, green beans, potatoes are all excellent choices.
Can I Use Regular Rice Instead of Basmati Rice?
You definitely can. I love using Basmati rice because they have those perfect, long grains that make the whole meal look really appealing, but if you don’t have it, you could just use your regular rice instead too. Just make sure you keep an eye on the amount of water you’re adding in, and cook the rice only until it is nearly cooked.
Overcooking the rice will make it mushy, and you won’t get that perfect texture that you want your bejeweled rice to have.
Tips to Make the Persian Honey Glazed Chicken
Ready to give the recipe a try? Keep these additional tips and tricks in mind to make sure you nail the recipe.
- While you can use any cut of chicken for this recipe, opt for chicken thighs with the bone- they’ll give you the maximum flavor and have the most tender meat you can sink your teeth into. The next best choice is, of course, chicken legs.
- Don’t mind a bit of heat? You can add some chopped jalapenos or red chilly powder into the chicken while it is still cooking.
- The pomegranate arils and the cranberries are not a must for the rice, but they add a nice pop of color and some texture that can take the rice to the next level. If you don’t have either of these, you can add some raisins into the mix instead.
- Don’t forget to top your plate with a generous sprinkle of chopped coriander leaves, right before you serve.
While the Persian honey-glazed chicken and bejeweled rice is an excellent combination that tastes incredible all on its own, you can still take a teeny bit of extra effort and whip up a quick cucumber salad or a watermelon refresher to go along with it.
Persian Honey Glazed Chicken with Bejeweled Rice
- 50 g butter
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp dried cranberries
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 pinch cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 100 g chicken
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 tbsp pomegranate arils
- 1 tsp pistachios
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cover the pan with a lid and allow the chicken to cook. Once the chicken is done, take the pan off heat and add in the honey. Set this aside.
- Meanwhile, in a different pot, cook some Basmati rice (or any rice of your choice) until it is about 90% cooked. Drain off the excess water, if any.
- Heat oil in a pot, add some chopped garlic and onions and allow them to saute until they soften. Next, add some turmeric powder, salt, dried cranberries and crushed black pepper.
- Add in the rice and give it all a good mix. Top the rice with pomegranate seeds and some sliced or whole pistachios.
- Assemble everything on a plate and serve hot!
An awesome combo of chicken and rice. Super tasty, everyone loved it.
Wow, talk about flavor! Loved this dish!
SO good! I can't wait to try it with chopped jalapenos!
What a great combination of flavors!
This is right up my alley, so many delicious flavors!
Can’t wait to make this. Looks amazing