This recipe allows you to create a delicious and colorful meal with minimal cleanup, making it perfect for busy weeknight dinners or entertaining guests. The combination of seasoned chicken, tender peppers, and onions, along with your favorite toppings, creates a satisfying and mouthwatering fajita experience.
It's dinner time, and you are getting tired of the same old same baked chicken? Well, let's spice it up quickly with some one-pan chicken fajitas! You are starting to say I don't have enough time to do that... Do you have 30 minutes to provide your family with a healthy and nutritious meal? Did you know making this one dish is often quicker than getting pizza delivered to your door?
Did I mention CHEAPER? The cost of a large family pack of chicken is $7.68, and for a pizza, now you are talking about $9.99. Pizza may only be enough for one meal. Where this chicken pack was enough for two dinners for four people and two lunches. Amazing how much cheaper it is, isn't it?
This is now one of our go-to recipes! I was making it once a week when we were short on time and needed a quick meal.
Another quick meal I often make is cracked chicken. It's so creamy and good. It's also a huge plus that I can just set the crockpot and forget it. So if I can make other quick meals like this, I will most definitely share them.
Chicken Fajita Toppings:
When it comes to chicken fajita toppings, there are numerous options to choose from. Here are some popular and delicious toppings to consider:
- Sour Cream: Creamy and tangy, sour cream adds a cool and refreshing element to the fajitas.
- Guacamole: Creamy and rich guacamole made from ripe avocados provides a flavorful and smooth addition to the fajitas.
- Salsa: Whether it's a classic tomato salsa, salsa verde, or a spicier variation, salsa adds a tangy and zesty kick to the fajitas.
- Shredded Cheese: Cheddar, Monterey Jack, or a Mexican cheese blend can be sprinkled on top to add a melty and savory touch.
- Sliced Jalapeños: For those who enjoy heat, thinly sliced or pickled jalapeños can add a spicy kick to the fajitas.
- Pico de Gallo: A fresh combination of diced tomatoes, onions, cilantro, and lime juice adds a burst of flavor and a refreshing crunch.
- Chopped Cilantro: Fresh cilantro adds a bright and herbaceous flavor to the fajitas, enhancing the overall taste profile.
- Lime Wedges: Squeezing fresh lime juice over the fajitas adds a zesty and citrusy element that balances the flavors.
- Sliced Avocado: Creamy slices of ripe avocado can be a delicious addition, offering a buttery texture and a hint of sweetness.
- Diced Tomatoes: Adding fresh diced tomatoes provides a juicy and vibrant burst of flavor to the fajitas.
- Shredded Lettuce: Crisp shredded lettuce can add a refreshing and crunchy element to the fajitas.
- Chopped Green Onions: Sprinkling chopped green onions on top adds a mild onion flavor and a pop of color.
The variety of toppings allows you to customize your chicken fajitas according to your personal preferences and dietary needs. Enjoy experimenting and finding your favorite combination of chicken fajita toppings!
My Favorite Pairings with Chicken Fajitas:
When it comes to pairing chicken fajitas with delicious accompaniments here are some favorite pairings that you may enjoy:
- Rice and Beans: Serve your chicken fajitas with a side of fluffy white or Mexican-style rice and a helping of seasoned black or pinto beans. This classic combination adds substance and complements the flavors of the fajitas.
- Warm Tortillas: Warm up some tortillas, such as flour or corn tortillas, and serve them alongside your chicken fajitas. They're perfect for wrapping the chicken, peppers, and onions, creating a satisfying handheld experience.
- Fajita Veggies: Alongside your chicken fajitas, consider serving a side of grilled or sautéed fajita vegetables. These can include additional bell peppers, onions, zucchini, or mushrooms, providing extra flavor and variety.
- Mexican Street Corn: Elevate your fajita meal by adding Mexican street corn as a side dish. Grilled corn on the cob slathered with mayo, sprinkled with cotija cheese, and garnished with chili powder and lime juice will add a sweet, savory, and tangy element to the meal.
- Fresh Salad: Balance the richness of the chicken fajitas with a fresh salad. A simple mixed green salad with a citrusy dressing, such as a lime vinaigrette, complements the flavors and adds a refreshing element to the meal.
- Queso Dip: If you're a fan of cheesy goodness, serve a bowl of warm queso dip on the side. It's perfect for dipping tortilla chips or even drizzling over the chicken fajitas for an indulgent treat.
- Mexican Rice: Instead of plain rice, prepare a flavorful Mexican rice dish as a side. The combination of rice, tomatoes, onions, and spices will enhance the overall Mexican-inspired meal experience.
- Margaritas or Agua Frescas: For a refreshing beverage, pair your chicken fajitas with classic margaritas or traditional Mexican agua frescas like horchata, agua de Jamaica (hibiscus tea), or agua de tamarindo (tamarind juice).
Remember, these pairings are suggestions, and you can mix and match according to your personal preferences. Feel free to explore and create your own favorite combinations to make your chicken fajitas even more enjoyable!
How to Store and Reheat Chicken Fajitas:
To properly store leftover chicken fajitas, follow these guidelines:
- Allow the chicken fajitas to cool: Let the cooked chicken fajitas cool down at room temperature for no more than 2 hours. This prevents the growth of bacteria and ensures food safety.
- Separate the toppings: If your chicken fajitas have toppings such as sour cream, guacamole, or salsa, it's best to separate them from the main components before storing. These toppings are perishable and should be stored separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator.
- Store the chicken and vegetables: Place the leftover cooked chicken and vegetable mixture in an airtight container. Ensure that the container is properly sealed to maintain freshness.
- Refrigerate promptly: Place the sealed container of chicken fajitas in the refrigerator within two hours of cooking. Proper refrigeration helps inhibit bacterial growth and extends the shelf life.
- Use within 3-4 days: Leftover chicken fajitas can be safely stored in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. Consume them within this timeframe for the best quality and flavor.
- Reheat properly: When you're ready to enjoy the leftover chicken fajitas, reheat them thoroughly. You can do this by heating them in a skillet over medium heat or in the microwave until they are heated through. Be sure to stir occasionally to ensure even heating.
- Add fresh toppings: When serving reheated chicken fajitas, you can add fresh toppings like sour cream, guacamole, or salsa to enhance the flavors and textures.
It's important to note that while properly stored leftovers are generally safe to eat within the recommended timeframe, always use your judgment and discard any chicken fajitas that show signs of spoilage, unusual odor, or texture.
When in doubt, it's better to err on the side of caution and prioritize food safety.
One Pan Chicken Fajitas
- 1 ½ lbs Chicken breast cut in slits 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 pkg Taco seasoning
- 1 White onion (medium)
- 1 Orange bell pepper
- 1 Yellow bell pepper
- 1 Red bell pepper
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat with nonstick spray.
- Place chicken, bell peppers, and onion in a single layer onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Stir in olive oil and Taco seasoning; gently toss to combine.
- Place into oven and bake for 25 minutes, or until the chicken is completely cooked through and the vegetables are crisp-tender.
- While the oven is still warm you can place your tortilla wraps in to warm them for 3-5minutes before serving.