Craving pizza, but not in the mood to stretch dough and make a huge mess out of the kitchen? This recipe gives you all the delicious flavors of a pepperoni pizza, but in a quick and easy casserole that you can have on the table in less than an hour.
Pizza is one of my favorite foods and is always a household favorite. I could easily eat pizza weekly and not get tired of it. I'm also pretty sure I am not alone in that statement. On occasion, we have pizza night at home, and I chop up a bunch of ingredients for everyone to build their own personal pizza. I almost always have leftover toppings, especially pepperoni which would otherwise sit in the fridge and go bad.
This casserole is a fun spin on pizza and a great idea for an easy weeknight dinner when you don't have a lot of time, but still want a delicious and comforting home-cooked meal.
What Else Can I Add?
You can customize this recipe by adding in any of your favorite pizza toppings. I personally love to add in some veggies like bell pepper, onion, spinach, or artichoke hearts. I also love adding some pesto or fresh basil. You can mix it in or drizzle it on top when the casserole comes out of the oven.
Serving Ideas and Suggestions
This recipe is great by itself, but if you want to serve it with a side dish here are some options:
- Side salad - My favorite is a classic salad made with romaine lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, or anything else you like with an Italian dressing. It is very simple but refreshing and compliments this heavier, cheesy dish well.
- Garlic Bread - A classic side dish to both pizza and pasta.
- Roasted or Sautéed Vegetables - I find zucchini or other summer squashes pair well with the flavors in this dish.
Tips for Making Pepperoni Pizza Casserole
- Pre-shredded cheese doesn't melt as well because of the starch coating that keeps it from sticking together in the bag. It takes just a few extra minutes to shred up some fresh mozzarella that will make all the difference in this recipe.
- You can easily assemble this dish ahead of time and leave it covered in the fridge until you are ready to bake it.
Pepperoni Pizza Casserole
- 16 oz rotini pasta noodles cooked al dente
- 24 oz pizza sauce
- 2 tbsp italian seasoning
- 16 oz mozzarella cheese divided
- 6 oz pepperoni slices divided
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, until al dente.
- Add pizza sauce and Italian seasoning to a medium bowl and stir.
- Once noodles are done, drain and add to a large bowl.
- Stir in sauce.
- Add 12 oz of mozzarella cheese and pepperoni, except for 15 slices to go on top. Stir until combined.
- Pour into a baking dish.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top of the pasta mixture.
- Arrange 15 slices of pepperoni on top of cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot.