A cheesy, healthy Italian recipe that is flavorful and has the perfect amount of meat with vegetables all in one dish to make clean-up a breeze.
During the workweek currently, the afternoons are packed full of virtual learning, homework, and other mom tasks. And then in the summertime just seems to fly by due to daylight is longer so fresh air is needed. Easy dinners like this stuffed sausage are always a necessity no matter the month and it is quick to get on the table.
A few tips for last-minute dinners that are still real food instead of frozen pizza.
1. Always have fresh or thawed meat in the fridge. And/or meat that cooks quickly from frozen like individually frozen chicken tenders.
2. Always have steam bags of frozen veggies and/or washed and ready fresh vegetables and salad greens.
3. Keep a stocked pantry with a variety of spice blends.
4. Have a nice assortment of condiments in the fridge.
With those items, you can put dinner together in a flash.
How to Make Cheese Stick Stuffed Sausage
So, my trick to stuffing sausage is simple. Use kitchen shears to split open the casing along one side. Do not remove the casing. Simple open the sausage down the middle, stuff in the cheese stick, and then reform the sausage around the cheese stick.
How to make cheesy stuffed sausage and peppers on a bed of cabbage?
First, you will want to lay a bed of freshly washed and patted dry cabbage leaves.
Then, you can go ahead and cut the Italian sausages down the middle so that you can place the cheese sticks (I used mozzarella). They are already the perfect amount to just place inside without making it complicated to measure and sprinkle.
Then slice 3 bell peppers and arrange on top before dumping a 20 oz jar of marinara sauce on top.
Bake for 40-50 mins and be sure the sausage is completely cooked with an internal temperature of 160 degrees.
One Pan Cheesy Sausage and Peppers on a Bed of Cabbage
- 3 bell peppers Orange, Yellow, and Red
- 5 Italian sausage links about 1.5-2 pounds
- ¼ head Cabbage
- 20oz jar Marinara sauce
- 5 Cheese sticks Mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a 8x10 glass dish, place cabbage leaves that have been washed and patted dry
- Using kitchen scissors, cut the sausage down the side. Do not remove the casing. Put a mozzarella stick inside the sausage and press it back into its shape. Put it casing side down in an 8 x 10-inch baking pan. Repeat with the remaining sausage.
- Slice up the bell peppers removing the seeds and then place them on top.
- Pour the marinara sauce over the sausage and peppers.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until the sausage is 160 when checked with a meat thermometer.
I hope you enjoy this quick and easy dish that is packed with nutritional value.
If you make it please let me know what you think!
Oh my gosh .. I could smell this through my computer screen! This looks A MA ZING!!!! I am going to make this over the weekend FOR REAL !!! YUMMM !!!
Please let me know what you think! We love it!