It’s no secret that I love using mason jars for crafts, so why not as gifts too. They come in many sizes and are so versatile to use. Since the holiday season is in full swing, I love the idea of giving “gifts in a jar” to everyone on my shopping list. It is easy, and you can exceed their expectations if you know their likes. Hot Cocoa Mix in A Jar is the ticket!
It’s the perfect gift for your friends, family, neighbors, co-workers, and more to enjoy all winter. There is one thing I promise, though, this Hot Chocolate Mix won’t last long as it is so creamy and delicious.
What are the benefits of Hot Cocoa?
1. According to a study conducted at Cornell University, the antioxidant concentration in hot cocoa is almost twice as strong as in red wine. Cocoa's concentration was two to three times stronger than green tea and four to five times stronger than black tea. More antioxidants are released when it's heated up.
2. Although a regular bar of chocolate has a significant amount of antioxidants, the health benefits may be outweighed because of the saturated fats present — cocoa generally has much less fat per serving compared to the 8 grams of fat in a standard chocolate bar.
3. Flavonoids help your body process nitric oxide, which is why hot cocoa can improve blood flow, help lower blood pressure, and improve heart health. The flavonoids in hot chocolate also help prevent platelets in your blood from mingling together and forming clots.
4. According to the American Association for the Advancement of Science, drinking hot chocolate can help you think better. The flavonoids increase the blood flow and oxygen to the brain. Since dementia is caused by reduced blood flow to the brain, researchers think it could be treated with cocoa.
What you will need to make Hot Cocoa in a Jar:
- 1QT (32oz) size mason jar with lids
- Colorful fabric
- Candy Canes, optional
You may decorate the jars, but I choose not to this time. The candy canes are optional, depending on whether you enjoy a little peppermint taste with your hot chocolate.
How many servings and how to make the Hot Cocoa in a Jar:
A one-quart jar will make 12 servings. Your gift recipient can easily store it in a food storage container and use it as needed. When ready to enjoy a cup, measure ⅓ cup of the mix in a mug and pour hot water over it.
Hot Cocoa in a Jar
- 1 c Sugar
- 1 c Unsweetened Cocoa
- 1 c Powdered Milk
- ½ c Marshmallows
- ¼ c Mini Chocolate Chips
- Using a clean quart jar, layer the ingredients starting with the sugar, followed by the unsweetened cocoa.
- When ready to serve, store in an air-tight container.
- Add ⅓ cup of mix to one cup of hot water.
Other things you can do for gifts in a jar:
You end up with so many glass jars anymore from spaghetti sauce and more. I have made a list of different ways you can repurpose them as Christmas gifts to satisfy anyone.
1. Make Cookies in a Jar
2. Candles in a Jar
3. Peppermints in a Jar
4. Homemade Jams and Jelly
5. Pedicure in a Jar
6. Body and face masks in a jar
Be on the lookout for more holiday gifts in a jar, as the boys and I loved coming up with this one. We will enjoy a cup of hot cocoa while making some more jars.
Leave a Reply