I remember a long time ago that Kentucky Fried Chicken had these famous bowls. We don't eat fast food much unless we are traveling, but these were amazing. They have stayed in my mind for years!
They went away for a bit, and in January 2020, they brought them back. We have been very creative in our meals as we are going through this Coronavirus pandemic, so I want to provide you with a homemade, easy, and healthy alternative that will not break the bank so I created the healthy KFC Bowl which is a spin-off of the traditional KFC Famous Bowl.
How much does the KFC Famous Bowl cost?
The KFC famous bowl is currently priced at $3. However, that can vary based on location, and tax is extra. They do have options to turn it into a meal for $5 that includes a medium drink and a cookie. Not a healthy combination, but below you will see my spin on this.
What is in the KFC Famous bowl?
The famous Kentucky Fried Chicken bowl includes fried chicken (original fried chicken or spicy), creamy mashed potatoes, sweet corn, cheese, and home-style gravy makes up a bowl weighing a pound that is sure to satisfy your appetite.
Nutritional Information for the KFC Bowl:
Total Fat 34 g
Saturated Fat 6 g
Trans Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 45 mg
Sodium 2310 mg
Total Carbohydrate 81 g
Dietary Fiber 6 g
Sugars 19 g
Protein 25 g
Alcohol 0 g
How to make the KFC Famous Bowl Healthier?
- Switch the mashed potatoes for some cauliflower rice.
- Take the fried chicken and switch it for grilled chicken or chicken nuggets. Yes, chicken nuggets are what we did. Nothing better than some delicious Tyson's Chicken Nuggets that most parents keep on hand when you have kids.
- Keep the corn or switch it to another vegetable.
Healthy KFC Famous Bowl
- 1 can Green beans or sweet corn Your preference for the vegetables
- 2 pkg Riced cauliflower You can also steam regular cauliflower for about 20 minutes to soften it up to use it.
- 20 Chicken nuggets or chicken popcorn bites This allows five for each person.
- 1 jar Chicken gravy
- Sprinkle with cheese optional
- Preheat the oven to the directions on the back of the bag for the chicken
- In 2 sauce pots you will want to warm up the vegetables and the chicken gravy.
- Place the cauliflower rice bag in the microwave and follow the directions on the back of the bag.
- Place ½ cup of cauliflower rice in each of the bowls.
- Top the rice with the vegetables and the chicken.
- Then glaze the top with the chicken gravy and top with some shredded cheese if you wish.
- I use Earthly Choice for my riced cauliflower which is microwavable in 90 seconds.
- You can substitute riced cauliflower for mashed potatoes or Jasmin or basmati rice.
- Canned, fresh, or frozen vegetables will all work.
How to make the KFC Famous Bowl Keto and Paleo Friendly?
You would want to use grilled organic chicken instead of breaded chicken.
Honestly, everyone was shocked how good it tasted with cauliflower rice, even the boys. Everyone's plate was all clean, and they were raving about it.
I hope your family enjoys it as much as our family does.