This tamale pie is seasoned ground beef, corn and beans baked together with cornbread to make a hearty and comforting casserole. This Mexican style meal is perfect for feeding a crowd and can be easily customized to your tastes.
What I love about this is that it’s very flavorful, very filling and the contrast in textures are quite appealing. The baked cornbread adds that “tamale” feel to it and the ground beef, corn, and other seasonings, vegetables, and beans make this so hearty.
One of my favorite meals growing up was when my aunt would make tamale pie. This classic beef and cornbread dish never goes out of style, and I love how easy it is to make.
Can you freeze the Tamale Bake?
This pie is a great candidate for the freezer. Bake the casserole as directed, then let it cool and wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or foil. Freeze the casserole for up to two months. Bake from frozen by heating the oven to 350 degrees F. Cook for 45 minutes covered, then 15-20 minutes uncovered or until heated through. You can also freeze individual portions of tamale pie in resealable containers. I typically heat individual portions in the microwave for 2-3 minutes or until hot.
Easy Tamale Bake
- 1 ¼ lbs ground beef or turkey
- 4 oz can green chilis diced
- 10 oz can Rotel tomatoes
- ½ c creamed corn
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp dry cilantro
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 c cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 packages mexican style cornbread mix
- eggs & milk if needed per cornbread instructions
- salsa, sour cream & guacamole if desired for toppings/garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Coat a 13x9 pan with nonstick spray
- In a large skillet, brown the ground meat and drain
- Stir in all seasonings, Rotel, corn, green chilis
- Simmer until flavors have combined and mixture has thickened a bit
- Prepare both cornbread mixes per package directions
- Pour ½ of the mix into the prepared pan
- Evenly layer on the meat mixture
- Sprinkle the cheese on in an even layer
- Top with the second half of cornbread mix
- Lightly sprinkle dry cilantro over the top
- Bake until top is golden brown (approximately 30-40 minutes)
- Garnish with salsa, sour cream, guacamole if desired
- Serve immediately and enjoy!