A creamy, cheesy, absolutely delicious soup recipe loaded with ground beef, bacon, and potatoes. This hearty Cheeseburger Potato soup is perfect for serving as a delicious meal itself. This is one of my family's favorite soup recipes!
My family is a big fan of creamy soups. Not only are they warm and comforting for the colder months, but they are super rich and filling to eat for dinner. Serve it with a side of bread, and it's the perfect fall meal.
Tips and Tricks to Make Creamy Cheeseburger Potato Soup
Ready to give this soup recipe a shot? Keep these tips and tricks in mind in order to nail the recipe!
- The ground beef and bacon add a great flavor to this dish, but could also use ground chicken or turkey in its place. If you want to make this dish vegetarian, you could omit the meat altogether and make it more similar to a loaded baked potato soup.
- The Velveeta cheese gives the soup a really creamy texture which is why I wouldn't recommend swapping it out for a blog of a harder cheese. If you want to substitute it, I would recommend using cream cheese for a similar texture and taste.
- Do you like a little bit of a kick? Throw in some chopped jalapeños or chili flakes along with the potatoes.
- If you want to make this recipe a bit healthier, add some veggies such as mushrooms, bell pepper, or corn.
How to Store Leftovers
Leftover soup can stay good in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Just remember to allow it to cool down completely before you transfer it to a clean, airtight container. You can reheat it on the stove or in the microwave, and you may need to add just a little broth or milk if the texture is too thick.
You can also freeze the soup if you want to store it for longer than four (4) days, but remember that the potatoes will start to lose their texture and will turn grainy the longer you freeze them.
Can I Make This in A Slow Cooker?
Absolutely! Simply cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours. Add the cornstarch, milk, and Velveeta just before serving.
You Might Also Like
If you loved this recipe, here are a few of my other favorite soup recipes!
Creamy Cheeseburger Potato Soup
- ½ pound Bacon cut into ¼ inch pieces
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- ½ medium Onion peeled and diced
- ¼ cup Butter
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- 1 tsp dried Parsley
- 1 tsp dried Basil
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp coarsely ground Black Pepper
- 6 medium Russet Potatoes peeled and diced
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 2 cups Milk
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch
- 8 ounces Velvetta Cheese cut into ½ inch cubes
- Gather your ingredients.
- Add bacon to a medium pan, and cook over medium heat until crispy, stirring as needed.
- Remove bacon, and drain grease.
- Add the ground beef, break into pieces, and cook until browned. Drain grease.
- Raise heat to medium-high, then add the onion, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the butter, then stir in minced garlic, and the rest of the seasonings. Allow to saute for 2 minutes.
- Reduce the temperature to low, then add the cooked bacon, potatoes and chicken broth. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Add the cornstarch to the milk, and whisk until dissolved. Stir into the soup.
- Add the cheese, and stir until melted.
- Serve hot, and enjoy! Garnish with diced green onions if desired.