Crispy, crunchy, and full of flavor- these roasted BBQ chickpeas might just become your next favorite healthy snack.
I can’t tell you about all those times that I have tried my hand at healthy snack recipes- a good number of them worked, but a lot of them didn’t. And then I tried making these protein-rich roasted BBQ chickpeas and was blown away at how incredible they turned out.
They had just the right crunchy texture I was craving for and tasted so amazing too!
Tempted enough to give the recipe a shot? Scroll down and keep reading to know more about it.
What Other Seasonings Can I Use?
There’s a lot more than just this simple spice mix that you can use to add flavor to your roasted chickpeas. You could skip the turmeric and red chili powder that this recipe calls for, and use peri peri seasoning instead. Smoked paprika is also a good choice since it adds a ton of flavor to your chickpeas.
For some garlicky goodness, you can add some garlic powder and top the chickpeas with some chopped cilantro right before you serve. Curry powder, ranch seasoning, and za’atar spice mix are also great flavors you can experiment with.
How Do I Store Them?
Your roasted BBQ chickpeas taste best when you have them the same day that they are made- but you can also store them at room temperature for 4-5 days in a container with the lid slightly open to allow the air to circulate into the container. Remember that the chickpeas should be completely cooled down before you decide to store them- any heat or humidity will cause them to turn soft.
Tips to Make the Roasted BBQ Chickpeas
Think you’re ready to give the recipe a shot? You might want to keep these additional tips and tricks in mind to make sure you nail the recipe.
- While using canned chickpeas is always a good idea, if you don’t, you can just soak raw chickpeas overnight, pressure cook them with a bit of salt, and then drain the excess water.
- To make your chickpeas extra crispy, take a few extra minutes to peel them and get their skin off before you roast them in the oven.
- Another excellent tip to follow to make your chickpeas extra crispy is to get them as dry as you can before you pop them into the oven. Use kitchen towels for help and pat them dry.
- Remember to avoid overcrowding the pan when roasting the chickpeas. This will ensure all of them get the same amount of heat and are crispy and roasted to perfection.
- To lend your roasted chickpeas some more flavor, you can squeeze some fresh lemon juice on the top.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
Your roasted BBQ chickpeas are ready to be relished right after they’re tossed in the delicious spice rub. You can also save an extra batch for later, and use them for any of your green salads like this grandma’s cucumber salad or this fresh honey ginger salad as a nice vegetarian protein source.
They can also make for an excellent filling for your wraps and meal bowls- they’re super versatile that way.
Easy Roasted BBQ Chickpeas
- 1 can cooked chickpeas
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp dry mango powder
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp chaat masala powder
- Start by draining off the liquid from the chickpeas.
- Spread the chickpeas on the tray and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- In a bowl, prepare a spice mix using salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, chaat masala powder, dry mango powder and a teaspoon of olive oil.
- Toss the roasted chickpeas in this spice mixture until everything is well coated and serve!