Perfect quick dinner idea for leftover pork roast. These Shredded Pork Quesadillas are simple, and delicious, with green chiles and bbq rub seasoning.
This recipe is like a mashup of a quesadilla and chile verde, and it's absolutely delicious. These easy pork quesadillas come together in under 20 minutes with only a few simple ingredients.
Quesadillas are a really well-balanced meal, as they have carbs in the tortilla, healthy fats from the cheese and protein in the pork. The recipe is so simple but packs so much flavor. Super crispy on the outside with melty cheese and tender pork on the inside. Make these for lunch, dinner, or as an afternoon snack, and I can guarantee your family will devour them.
What Else Can I Add in?
Quesadillas are very versatile and you can really fill them with whatever you like. Some other ingredients that I like to add are:
- Sautéed veggies such as bell pepper, onion, tomato, corn, and spinach.
- Add some fresh cilantro or sliced jalapeno for a fresh kick.
- Try out a variety of different cheeses such as Monterey Jack, Cotija, or Oaxaca.
- Beans: My favorites are black and pinto
- Serve these quesadillas with a dollop of sour cream, salsa, and guacamole.
Tips for Making Shredded Pork Quesadillas
- It's easy to do when you want to get a handful of delicious ingredients in there, but try not to overstuff the quesadillas. Otherwise, the filling might spill out when you go to flip them and make a mess on the griddle.
- Try not to turn the heat up on your griddle past medium. If it is too hot, the outside of the tortilla will burn before the cheese is melted and the inside is warm.
- Juicy pork is great, but we don't want anything with too much moisture in this recipe or you risk soggy tortillas. Simply strain out any juice in your pork before assembling your quesadillas.
You Might Also Like
Shredded Pork Quesadillas
- 2 c shredded pork
- 2 tbsp bbq rub
- 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 8 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 large tortillas
- 1 green onion
Pork Roast Recipe (if needed)
- 3 lb pork roast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp pepper
- Add the shredded pork, bbq rub, and green chilis to a large bowl, and stir well until combined. (see below for pork roast recipe if needed)
- Rinse and dice the green onion.
- Heat a medium or large skillet over medium heat.
- Lay a tortilla flat in the skillet.
- Sprinkle 1 oz cheddar cheese on one side of the tortilla.
- Spoon ¼ of the pork mixture onto the side with the cheese.
- Sprinkle 1 oz of cheddar cheese on top of the pork mixture.
- Fold the empty half of the tortilla over the filled half.
- Cook for 8 minutes.
- Carefully flip the tortilla onto the other side, and cook for an additional 7 minutes.
- Cut into 3-4 triangles to serve.
- Top with diced green onion.
Pork Roast Recipe
- Sprinkle pork roast with salt and pepper, and add to the crock pot.
- Cook on low for 8 hours, or high for 4 hours.
- Remove from the crock pot and shred the meat.