The addition of boxed macaroni and cheese puts a delicious twist on this shepherd's pie recipe.
Mac n cheese shepherd's pie is perfect if you're looking for a quick dinner idea. It's a fun mash-up of a couple of classics and is sure to mix up the weekly dinner routine. On top of that, it is super budget-friendly and easy to make.
I always loved boxed mac and cheese growing up, and still love it as an adult. However, now when I make it, I am always looking for different ways to elevate it; and get in a serving of veggies based on what I have on hand. This recipe doesn't only make mac and cheese more interesting, but a balanced family meal as well.
Substitutions and Serving Suggestions
The thing I love about this recipe is that you can essentially use any ground meat, any type of vegetable, and any brand of mac and cheese. So feel free to get creative and use what your family likes.
- You can use any ground meat of your choice, or a plant based ground meat substitute if you want to make this dish vegetarian.
- The mixed veggies are classic to a shepherd's pie, but if you want to use different vegetables, I also like making this recipe with broccoli or cauliflower.
This shepherd's pie has everything in one dish, so you don't have to stress out about side dishes or making a huge mess in the kitchen.
Tips to Make Mac n Cheese Shepherd's Pie
Think you’re ready to give the recipe a try? Consider these additional tips to help you nail the recipe!
- If you want to make this ahead of time I would recommend making the ground beef and vegetable mixture first, but waiting to make the mac and cheese until you are ready to bake it. Leftover boxed mac and cheese tends to soak up the sauce, which is why it is best to make this right before serving.
- The reason you don't want to fully cook the noodles is that they will finish cooking in the oven. If you cook them for too long before baking you might end up with mushy mac and cheese.
Mac n Cheese Shepherd's Pie
- 1 lb ground beef
- 12 oz package frozen mixed vegetables thawed
- 26 oz can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 box macaroni and cheese
- 1 tbsp butter
- ¼ c milk
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Add the ground beef to a skillet and brown the meat, chopping as it cooks. Then drain the grease.
- Fill a medium saucepan half full with water. Bring to a boil.
- Pour the noodles from the box of macaroni and cheese in and cook for 5 minutes, or until noodles are tender, but not quite done.
- Pour noodles into a strainer to drain the water, then return to the saucepan.
- Add butter, cheese packet from box of mac and cheese, and milk, stir well.
- Add mixed veggies, cream of mushroom soup, and ground beef to a large bowl and mix. Pour into a large casserole dish.
- Top the mixture evenly with the macaroni and cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot!