I have tried to go low-carb so many times and I miss bagels especially from New Jersey. However, I often fail because we will travel to see my in-laws and see the amazing bagel places all around.
It's almost like all those bagel places are screaming at me... Ashley come get your hot everything bagel with cream cheese!
This one though is incredibly low carb keto with no special flours or crazy ingredients – just cheese, eggs, and Everything Bagel seasoning!
This Keto Everything Bagel has less than 1 carbs per serving, making it an excellent easy breakfast choice that will fill you up!
It is perfect when you need something quick and don't want to mix a ton of ingredients together. I like to serve them with about ¼ cup of cream cheese for spreading.
I've also had good luck storing them in the fridge and toasting them the next morning in the toaster for an easy grab and go keto breakfast.
How to make Keto Bagels:
Keto bagels can be made a few ways – but for this recipe, we’re going with the most simple, basic, and easy method – we’re baking a cheese and egg “bread” in a donut pan.
Donut pans are usually nonstick coated or made from silicone (the best choice), and can be purchased on Amazon, or found in a local craft store or kitchen specialty shop in the baking section.
Since these bagels are designed to be quick, there is no complicated setup – just press into the donut pan, bake, and enjoy!
I did find even with preparing the pan with coconut oil spray, my bagels very slightly stuck to the donut pan – but it didn’t ruin their shape or appearance at all.
I simply slid a butter knife around the edges of the bagels to pop them out of the pan, and they were perfectly fine.
To avoid any sticking, try to use a silicone donut pan. If you don’t have one, like I don’t, the butter knife trick works just fine.
I do find it is easier to release the bagels from the pan if they are slightly cooled (still very warm, but not so hot you can’t touch the pan without an oven mitt.)
My Favorite Everything Bagel Seasoning:
Tips to Make Keto Everything Bagels:
This recipe is really easy, and probably uses things you already have on hand.
- This recipe is really easy to swap out other ingredients (feel free to use any type of hard shredded cheese – like cheddar, Monterey Jack, mozzarella, etc; and any grated dry cheese like asiago, or parmesan) but you want to be sure they have similar moisture contents and consistency for the best results.
- Don't skip the egg wash: Before sprinkling the everything bagel seasoning, brush the boiled bagels with an egg wash made from beaten eggs and a little water or heavy cream. This helps the seasoning adhere to the bagels and gives them a shiny finish.
- Keep an eye on the baking time: Keto bagels can bake faster than traditional bagels since they lack gluten. Check them frequently while baking to prevent over-browning or burning. Adjust the baking time as needed to achieve the desired level of crustiness and doneness.
Remember to adjust the ingredients and quantities to fit your specific dietary needs and preferences. Enjoy your homemade keto everything bagels with your favorite spreads or toppings!
How to Store Keto Everything Bagels:
To properly store homemade keto bagels and maintain their freshness, follow these steps:
- Allow the bagels to cool completely: Before storing the bagels, make sure they have cooled down to room temperature. This helps prevent excess moisture from being trapped inside the storage container, which could cause them to become soggy.
- Slice the bagels (optional): If you prefer, you can slice the bagels before storing them. This makes them easier to handle and toast when you're ready to enjoy them.
- Store in an airtight container: Place the cooled bagels in an airtight container or a resealable plastic bag. Ensure that the container is tightly sealed to prevent air from entering and affecting the texture of the bagels.
- Refrigerate or freeze: For short-term storage, you can store the bagels in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. If you don't plan to consume them within that time frame, it's best to freeze them. To freeze, place the bagels in a freezer-safe bag or container and store for up to 2-3 months.
- Thawing and reheating: When you're ready to enjoy a bagel, remove it from the refrigerator or freezer and allow it to thaw at room temperature. You can also toast the frozen bagels directly in a toaster or toaster oven until they are warmed through and crispy.
These keto bagels can be enjoyed with cream cheese, smoked salmon, avocado, or any of your favorite low-carb toppings. Store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a few days or freeze them individually for longer shelf life.
Easy Keto Everything Bagel
- 1 c Shredded cheese
- ½ c Grated parmesan cheese
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tbsp Trader Joe's Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Combine the shredded cheese and egg in a bowl and mix it until the ingredients are fully combined.
- Divide the mixture equally into six parts and press into a well-greased donut pan.
- Sprinkle everything bagel seasoning over the tops of the egg and cheese mixture.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 15 to 20 minutes until the cheese has fully melted and created a slight brown crust.