When you’re thinking of appetizers, egg rolls usually top the list. They’re crunchy, delicious, and a total crowd-pleaser. And these vegan air fryer avocado egg rolls, in particular, are incredibly healthy and easy to make too!
They can be the perfect appetizer recipe to try making when you’re in the mood to indulge, but still want to keep things on the healthier side.
Tempted already? Here’s everything you need to know about them.
What Else Can I Add?
These egg rolls have the potential to be so much more than just ones that have an avocado filling. You can experiment with what you want to add in. Here are some good ideas.
- Bell peppers
- Alfalfa sprouts
- Black beans
- Spring onions
These can all go well along with the avocados and taste great when stuffed into egg rolls. Of course, you can also use any other meat or protein of your choice if you don’t want to go the vegan way.
Can I Deep Fry the Avocado Egg Rolls?
Air frying is a great way to keep these egg rolls healthy, but if you really love the extra crispiness deep-frying brings, you can go ahead and do that too.
Just remember to lay them on paper towels for a while after you’re done frying them to allow all the excess fat to be soaked away.
How Can I Store Them?
These egg rolls are freezer-friendly, which means you can make them in a batch over the weekend and store them for another day. Just make sure you store them in a freezer-safe container to prevent freezer burn. Also, remember to have a sheet of parchment paper between each layer in the container that you’re storing them in.
Tips to Make the Air Fryer Avocado Egg Rolls
Making these avocado egg rolls may be easy, but why say no to some genius tips and tricks to really take the recipe up a notch?
- While air frying, you might want to brush the egg rolls with a bit of oil. In that case, use sesame oil or avocado oil. They have a nice flavor that goes well with egg rolls.
- Don’t mind a bit of spice? Sprinkle some smoked paprika into the mix.
- You can also throw in a bit of chopped jalapeno if you want to.
- To make these egg rolls even more nutritious, you can add some bean sprouts too.
- If you don’t like the avocado stuffing, but still want to include it, you can stuff the egg rolls with other veggies, and make a simple avocado dip instead.
- Right before you serve, squeeze a generous amount of lemon juice on the top. This can really help bring out the flavors of the egg rolls.
How to Serve Them?
These egg rolls taste best when served with a nice dipping sauce on the side. If you’re planning to serve them as an appetizer for a complete spread you’re whipping up for your family, you might want to team these up with some Instant Pot Asian beef or Kung Pao chicken.
Vegan Air Fryer Avocado "Egg" Rolls
- 2 avocados ripe
- ¼ red onion
- ½ lime juiced
- 4-6 sun dried tomatoes in oil
- 1 tbsp cilantro finely chopped
- vegan egg roll wrappers
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- In a medium sized bowl, start by mashing your avocados.
- Then finely chop your sun dried tomatoes and onions and add to the avocados.
- Juice the lime and sprinkle over your mashed avocado.
- Add all your spices to the avocado.
- Finely chop your cilantro and add to the avocado. Mix everything until well combined.
- Then take one sheet of your vegan egg roll wrapper and put about one tablespoon of avocado filling and place it near one of the corners. (I used Frieda wrappers, which are egg-free, but processed in a factory that also processed eggs)
- Then roll the corner over your filling, press gently to make it tight and firm.
- Then fold in your corners, like an envelope, and keep rolling until you’re near the last corner.
- Brush some water on the last corner and close. The water will help seal the eggroll.
- Then put the eggrolls in the air fryer, make sure they all have a little bit of space and none of them are touching each other.
- Spray with a non-stick spray (I used avocado oil) and heat in the oven on 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 6-8 minutes. Make sure to flip them over halfway.
- Serve with vegan sour cream or vegan ranch (optional)
- Enjoy while hot!